WDIV earns 12 awards from Michigan Association of Broadcasters
Updated On: Mar 13 2014 07:50:17 PM EDT
WDIV-TV Local 4 is proud to be honored for broadcasting excellence in 10 categories, including best Breaking News Coverage and Investigative Reporting, by the Michigan Association of Broadcasters (MAB). The station won six Best in Category and six Merit Awards for Market 1.
First Place-Best in Category
• Breaking News: Local 4 News won top honors for its comprehensive team coverage of the Kwame Kilpatrick verdict
• Investigative Story: Local 4 Defender Kevin Dietz’s “Money Down the Drain” investigation exposed water flowing in abandoned homes and buildings
• Sports: Bernie Smilovitz, best sports reporting
• Photographer: Jamal Bransford, top photojournalist
• Special Interest Programming: WDIV’s magazine show, “First Block,” was #1
• Promos/Marketing: Local 4 garnered the highest kudos for its promotion of the “NHL Winter Classic”
• Breaking News: Inmate Escape
• Reporter: Local 4 Defender Kevin Dietz
• Newscast: Local 4 News at 5 p.m., “The Kilpatrick Verdict”
• Feature: Special Projects Producer Sarah Mayberry’s story, “No Ordinary Camp,” in which every young camper was an organ transplant recipient
• News Special: “Dateline Detroit, Guilty:The Final Chapter” (Kwame Kilpatrick)
• Marketing/Promos: Super Singer is Back (Local 4’s Fireworks singing competition)
The Broadcast Excellence Awards program recognizes outstanding achievement in broadcasting by Michigan radio and television stations each year. The awards were announced Wednesday evening at the MAB’s annual Great Lakes Broadcasting Conference in Lansing.
About WDIV-Local 4
Local 4 News is currently the #1 newscast at 4pm, 5pm, 6pm, and 11pm in Nielsen ratings for the Detroit television market, and Local 4 News at 11pm is the highest-rated newscast of all NBC affiliates in the top 11 markets nationwide. In addition, Local 4’s ClickOnDetroit.com is the leading breaking news and weather website in Michigan and Detroit’s number one local media website.
About Post-Newsweek Stations
Post-Newsweek Stations is owned by Graham Holdings Company (NYSE:GHC), a diversified education and media company. Post-Newsweek Stations owns and operates six television stations: WDIV, the NBC affiliate in Detroit; KPRC, the NBC affiliate in Houston; WPLG, the ABC affiliate in Miami; WKMG, the CBS affiliate in Orlando; KSAT, the ABC affiliate in San Antonio; and WJXT, an independent in Jacksonville.