Honest tax mistakes fixable

Published On: Jan 17 2012 05:05:26 PM EST   Updated On: Feb 06 2015 11:03:42 AM EST

We're only human after all. Given that, and the fact that filing income tax forms can be complicated stuff, there is a risk of making an honest mistake.

So, what do you do if you've filed a federal return and realize after the fact that you made a mistake?

If it is a simple math error, chances are that it will be caught and corrected by the IRS as the return is processed.

If you didn't report all of your income or failed to claim a tax credit that you are due, then you should file an amended return, using Form 1040X.

Submit it after you get your refund, or by the time the return is due, whichever comes first.

If you need to file an amended return, do it within three years after the date you filed the original, or within two years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.

A return filed early is considered filed on its due date.


The views expressed below are not those of Click On Detroit, WDIV, or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus