Cashman: Yankees made Cano 'significant offer'

By By The Sports Xchange
Published On: Mar 01 2013 10:48:34 AM EST
New York Yankees' Robinson Cano

REUTERS/Mike Segar

New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman confirmed to reporters Thursday that the team has made a "significant offer" to second baseman Robinson Cano.

Yankees managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner said last week that the Yankees have told agent Scott Boras, who represents Cano, that they're willing to consider a long-term deal.

Cano, 30, can become a free agent after the 2013 season, and Boras typically prefers that his players hit the open market. The lefty played in 161 games last season, and batted .313 with 33 homers and 48 doubles. He has hit .300 or better in six of his eight major-league seasons.

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of Click On Detroit, WDIV, or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus