State signs plan to help ailing Pontiac schools

Published On: May 11 2013 05:51:48 PM EDT
PONTIAC, Mich. -

Michigan's top education official has signed off on a plan to help the beleaguered Pontiac School District.
 
   The Detroit News reports Saturday that state education Superintendent Mike Flanagan approved a deficit elimination plan. It would allow the suburban Detroit district to get withheld funds and continue to operate.
 
   Earlier this week, Flanagan released a report finding the district's finances to be in bleak shape and concluded it was unlikely to make payroll next week.
 
   School officials held an emergency meeting Friday to hear from concerned parents and teachers. The district faces a $37.7 million deficit.
 
   Meanwhile, the district's Superintendent Brian Dougherty said this week he's resigning effective next Friday.
 
   Near Saginaw, the Buena Vista School District shut down this month after it said it ran out of money.

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of Click On Detroit, WDIV, or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus