Fire chief: No gas leak at Redford Union High School
Updated On: Oct 14 2013 02:42:29 PM EDT
Redford Township fire officials say it wasn't a gas leak Monday morning that prompted the evacuation of Redford Union High School.
In a statement, Fire Chief Thomas Graham said a local contractor purged gas lines while in the process of completing repairs on the schools boilers -- which resulted in the odor being smelled around the school.
Students were evacuated as a precaution around 11 a.m.
School official eventually dismissed classes for the day so the school could be aired out.
The school is located at 17711 Kinloch, which is near Six Mile and Beech Daly roads.