Competency exam ordered for man charged with Damian Sutton's death

By Lisa Ray, Managing Editor, ClickOnDetroit.com, @ClickOnLisa, lray@wdiv.com
Published On: Sep 26 2013 03:59:58 AM EDT
Updated On: Sep 26 2013 05:52:55 PM EDT

Ronald Dimambro, 26, is charged with murder and child abuse charges.

ROMEO, Mich. -

The man charged with causing 2-year-old Damian Sutton's death will undergo a competency evaluation.

Ronald Dimambro, 26, is charged with murder and child abuse charges.

At a hearing Thursday, the judge signed the order for the evaluation and set the next pre-exam conference for Oct. 21.

He is accused of beating and shaking young Damian to death last month. Damian died Aug. 27 at Children's Hospital after spending several days in a medically-induced coma.

Damian Sutton

Dimambro, the boyfriend of the boy's mother, was caring for the toddler at the time he was injured.

Macomb County Sheriff Tony Wickersham says the 26-year-old man called 911 to report Sutton was having an asthma attack. Wickersham said Dimambro later admitted he had shaken the child.

LISTEN: Washington Township 911 call

Dimambro has a criminal history that includes domestic violence and impaired driving.

"It's clearly one of the saddest things I've ever seen," said Macomb County Prosecutor Eric Smith.

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of Click On Detroit, WDIV, or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus