Ficano hires Warren Evans as Wayne County contractor
Updated On: Dec 07 2013 12:30:40 AM EST
Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano has hired former Sheriff Warren Evans as a county contractor.
Evans will be consulting for Ficano on the growing jail population and overtime cost issues at the Wayne County Jail.
County Deputy CEO Jeffrey Collins release this statement on Friday:
“We welcome the expertise Sheriff Evans brings to the table. In his over 40 plus year career in law enforcement, his extensive experience includes executive leadership at the highest levels, serving the County for six years as Sheriff and also as Police Chief in Detroit.
We believe his input will help us to devise strategies that could drive down the prison population at the jails. We also believe his insights will help in doing the due diligence that is needed to evaluate plans and costs for the possible build out at the Mound Road Facility,” Jeffrey Collins, Wayne County Deputy CEO.
• Sheriff Evans is consulting the Wayne County administration through the consulting service he established, Cleage Group, LLC.
• Under terms of the one-year consulting services contract, he will be paid $150.00 per hour, not to exceed $30,000. The consultant is being paid out of the General Fund.
About Sheriff Warren Evans
• A native Detroiter, Evans began his career in law enforcement in 1970 as a Deputy in the Wayne County Sheriff’s Department.
• In 1978, Evans became the youngest ever lieutenant at 28 years old.
• Served as Undersheriff from 1987 to 1991
• Served as Wayne County Sheriff from 2003 to 2009
• Served as Detroit Police Chief from 2009 to 2010
• During his 40 plus year career in law enforcement, Sheriff Evans has served as a police officer, correctional officer, supervisor, manager and administrator
• He has held executive positions including Wayne County Sheriff, Detroit Police Chief as well as in adult corrections, community corrections, juvenile detention, juvenile detention training schools and community based programs.
• He also served as the Chief of Operations for the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office in 2001, leading the auto theft, juvenile, drug house and abandoned building units.
• Sheriff Evans has earned numerous citations and commendations over his 40 plus year career in law enforcement.