Court rules Mike Duggan will remain off Detroit mayoral ballot
Updated On: Jun 18 2013 06:33:42 PM EDT
The Michigan Court of Appeals has ruled Mike Duggan will remain off of the ballot for Detroit mayor.
A Wayne County Circuit Court judge ruled last week that Duggan should not be on the primary ballot because he had not established residency in Detroit long enough to qualify under the City Charter.
Duggan's attorneys appealed the ruling to the Michigan Court of Appeals, which issued a stay of the lower court's ruling pending a decision, which came on Tuesday.
A spokesman for Duggan issued the following statement after the Court of Appeals' denial:
"After receiving word that the Michigan Court of Appeals has affirmed Judge Popke's ruling that he is ineligible to appear on the Aug. 6 ballot for mayor, Mike Duggan will take the rest of today to consider his options and address the media at 10:00 a.m. Wednesday, June 19, 2012 at his campaign headquarters at 2751 E. Jefferson Ave."
Tom Barrow, another candidate for mayor who took the challenge of the former Detroit Medical Center CEO's residency before the county court, has asked the Michigan Supreme Court to consider the matter.
During a press conference Tuesday evening, Barrow said he was not rejoicing over Duggan's loss.
Watch: Barrow's press conference
"I believe he has suffered enough and I for one understand the deep disappointment he's been forced to publicly endure these last few weeks," he said.
Barrow said both sides had spent "an incredible amount" of money during the legal battle -- and that all of it was completely unnecessary.
Barrow said Detroit City Clerk Janice Winfrey favored one office seeker over others who were not allowed onto the ballot based on the same charter provision violation.
"This a la carte-style of ballot access Mrs. Winfrey engaged in must be stopped. It is her stewardship of the election process that has caused this case to go this far, disrupting Detroit's campaign and political process," Barrow said.
Read back: Tom Barrow's response to Mike Duggan appeal
The high court has received the request but not taken any action.
Barrow has attacked Duggan for being an "outsider."
"This is the end of it. There is no more of these outsiders and carpetbaggers coming in trying to take over the city," Barrow said after the judge ordered Duggan off the ballot.
Local 4 caught up with Duggan Tuesday evening. He said it "is what it is."
"I’ve been in this business a long time. Sometimes these things happen," Duggan said. "I don’t understand it."
From left: Mike Duggan and Tom Barrow