Cass Tech football star charged with assault readmitted to school

Published On: Apr 17 2014 08:11:07 AM EDT
Updated On: Apr 17 2014 08:21:15 AM EDT
DETROIT -

A Detroit high school football star accused of body-slamming a school guard is being allowed back in school.

Cass Tech quarterback Jayru Campbell is charged with assault. Prosecutors say the 17-year-old junior slammed the guard to the ground in January after refusing to follow school policy and pull a hood off his head. The confrontation was recorded on video.

Jayru Campbell security guard slam

District spokeswoman Jennifer Mrozowski confirmed to Local 4 that Campbell had been readmitted to the school, but said she was unable to release any more details because Campbell's "educational records are protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act."

Wayne County Circuit Judge Timothy Kenny is considering a prosecutor's recommendation that Campbell be sentenced under the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act, which allows young defendants to have a conviction erased if they complete sentence terms.

Kenny set a resolution date of May 2.

Campbell has said he'll play for Michigan State in 2015.

Jayru Campbell football star

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of Click On Detroit, WDIV, or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus