Warrant sought for Detroit Princess boat shooting suspect already set free

Published On: Aug 30 2012 04:42:15 PM EDT
Updated On: Aug 21 2012 06:05:42 PM EDT
DETROIT -

The Wayne County Prosecutor's Office is denying claims that a shooting suspect was released due to connection to Prosecutor Kym Worthy.

Attorney James Galen and five shooting victims want to know why Worthy's office will not issue a warrant to arrest Latoiya Mitchell, who is accused of opening fire on people aboard the Detroit Princess boat earlier this month. Seven people were hurt in the shooting. However, Mitchell was since released.

Galen says Worthy has a personal relationship with Mitchell's grandmother and that is why a warrant has not been granted.

However, a spokeswoman for the Prosecutor's Office says they are not aware of any connection.

"This is certainly not the reason a suspect was released," spokeswoman Maria Miller said. "The suspect was released because the police could not legally hold her. Their investigation was incomplete."

The Prosecutor's Office also says police have items needed to complete their investigation and once that information is processed a warrant will be reviewed.

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of Click On Detroit, WDIV, or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus