Strong gas smell evacuates Detroit emergency services building

Published On: Oct 09 2012 12:40:47 PM EDT
Updated On: Oct 09 2012 02:23:18 PM EDT

The Detroit building that houses fire, police and EMS personal was evacuated after a gas leak.

DETROIT -

The strong smell of natural gas prompted the evacuation of the Detroit emergency services dispatch center on Lyndon Street Tuesday.

Police said the odor started to fill the building just before noon and a couple of employees complained of headaches and a woozy feeling. One woman was taken to the hospital.

The fire, police and EMS departments work out of the building. Service was disrupted for about 15 minutes, but everything is back online.

DTE Energy said a leak of the odorant it puts in natural gas is the blame - not an actual gas leak.

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of Click On Detroit, WDIV, or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus