Pets suffer in cold weather
Updated On: Jan 22 2013 06:31:57 AM EST
Detroit Dog Rescue had a crew out in the 2 degree weather Tuesday morning, looking for animals who were orphaned or left outside by their owners. On Local 4 News Morning they shared their advice for caring for pets in cold weather.
Doggie Fitness During Extreme Cold Weather – Some people take their dogs out for a walk or a run during this weather. Here’s how Detroit Dog Rescue recommends you keep your dog safe and warm outdoors:
- Providing insulated doggie vests or sweaters to protect core body temperature
- Pet boots - paw pad protection
- Reducing outdoor play and walking times during severe weather periods
Food Nutrition - dogs that spend most of their time outdoors may need more calories to maintain their energy in cold weather
- Providing enough fresh water (not allowing water bowl to free
- Serving dry dog food with a touch of warm water or broth
Shelter - A key message for DDR is its Dog Days of Winter campaign that works to educate dog owners on the importance of proper sheltering and bedding for outdoor dogs
- the importance of having the right size dog house
- providing the right bedding in a dog house to include straw (not hay) to help provide levels padding and insulation that will help keep a dog house warm
Pet Safety & Winter Hazards - beyond cold weather winter time can also provide other hazards to dogs.
- dogs can get frostbite on their paws when exposed to long periods outside
- Ice melt (salt) and other antifreeze products can be harmful if lodged between paws, cause chemical burns and be toxic is licked and digested.