Oakland County serial bank robbery suspect in custody
Updated On: Apr 10 2013 05:50:23 PM EDT
Local 4 has learned that a man who is suspected of being a serial bank robber in Oakland County has been arrested.
He was taken into custody Wednesday morning after fleeing another bank robbery.
Southfield police said they aided Royal Oak police in stopping the fleeing suspect on 11 Mile Road near Southfield Road. He had just committed an armed robbery at the TCF Bank on Crooks Road in Royal Oak, police said.
A bank employee reported a man walked into the bank armed with a handgun and demanded money from a teller. He fled the bank on foot with an undisclosed amount of cash.
"We are looking to see if the suspect matches the description of six other armed robberies in the area," said Royal Oak Police Chief Corrigan O'Donohue.
Police said evidence of the robbery was found in the suspect's car.
The FBI and several police departments have been trying to track down a bank robber -- who has hit several banks at gunpoint -- for several months.
Man suspected of several bank robberies in Oakland County
Police suspect the same man is responsible for the following robberies:
• Madison Heights PNC Bank (12 Mile and John R. roads), Dec. 20 at 1:20 p.m.
• Royal Oak PNC Bank (3rd and Main streets), Dec. 26 at 1:50 p.m.
• Royal Oak Charter One Bank (2nd & Main streets), Jan. 15 at 9:50 a.m.
• Berkley Charter One (Woodward Avenue and Catalpa), Jan. 28 at 10:15 a.m.
• Birmingham Comerica Bank (15 Mile and Southfield roads), Feb. 8 at 10:10 a.m.
• Royal Oak Citizens Bank (Lincoln and Main), Feb. 22 at 9:54 a.m.
• Beverly Hills Independence Bank (Southfield and 14 Mile roads), March 13 at12:21 p.m.