Oakland County among busiest commuter traffic counties in nation
Updated On: Mar 05 2013 08:15:48 AM EST
Oakland County is among counties with the highest amount of commuters traveling from another county for work, according to the American Community Survey estimates released by the U.S. Census Bureau.
Nationally, 27.4 percent of workers commute outside the county where they live.
Among workers in Oakland County, 262,165 live outside the county, according to 2006-2010 estimates from the American Community Survey. For example, 104,700 workers commute in from Wayne County, 89,757 from Macomb County and 18,996 from Genesee County.
Meanwhile, 171,501 residents of Oakland County leave the county for work, with 103,186 going to Wayne County (which was not significantly different from the number of workers coming in from the county), 37,812 to Macomb County and 7,491 to Washtenaw County.
"It is well known that Oakland County draws a lot of commuters to work. The detailed information in the American Community Survey tells us where Oakland County workers are coming from, where its residents work, and how its commuting patterns compare to those of other large counties," said Brian McKenzie, a Census Bureau statistician who studies commuting. "This information shapes our understanding of the boundaries of local and regional economies, as people and goods move across the nation's transportation networks."
Means of Transportation
• In 2011, 85.7 percent of workers in Oakland County drove to work alone, compared with 76.4 percent nationally.
• Meanwhile, 7.4 percent of Oakland County workers carpooled in 2011, while 9.7 percent in the nation carpooled to work.
• In 2011, 0.6 percent of all workers in Oakland County used public transportation -- excluding taxicab -- to get to their job, compared with 5.0 percent in the nation as a whole.
• About 0.2 percent of all workers in the county biked to work in 2011, compared with 0.6 percent nationally.
Travel Time to Work
• In 2011, the average one-way commute to work for people living in Oakland County was 26.0 minutes. The average commute nationally was 25.5 minutes.
• About 5.7 percent of all workers had a commute of 60 minutes or more in 2011, compared with 8.1 percent in the nation as a whole.