Michigan Court of Appeals limits U.S. Supreme Court juvenile lifer ruling

Published On: Nov 16 2012 12:55:29 PM EST

istock

LANSING, Mich. -

The Michigan Court of Appeals has ruled to limit the use of a landmark court decision that ends mandatory no-parole sentences for juveniles convicted of murder.

The decision, released Friday, says the U.S. Supreme Court decision from earlier this year should not apply retroactively to Michigan inmates who have already exhausted most appeals.

The office of Michigan Attorney General, Bill Schuette, had filed a motion to intervene in a case where a convicted murderer, Raymond Carp of St. Clair County, who was attempting to secure parole following the recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling addressing the constitutionality of mandatory sentences of life without parole for convicted teen murderers. 

 "The threat of hauling hundreds of crime victims and their families back into court to relive these horrific murders has already opened many old wounds," said Schuette.

Carp's attorney, Patricia Selby, says she and her client are "very disappointed" by the decision.

READ RULING: People of the State of Michigan vs Raymond Carp

More than 350 prisoners in Michigan are serving mandatory no-parole sentences for murders committed when they were under 18. That's one of the highest totals in the U.S.

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of Click On Detroit, WDIV, or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus