Medical examiner says Michigan State Student died from meningococcal disease
Updated On: Feb 17 2012 07:10:37 PM EST
A medical examiner says meningococcal disease is to blame for the death of a 19-year-old Michigan State University student.
Carly Glynn, a sophomore, died suddenly Feb. 10.
Ingham County Medical Examiner Dr. Joyce DeJong said the bacteria likely caused a fatal systemic infection. When meningococcal bacteria attack the brain it is called meningitis. An investigation by the Ingham County Health Department identified 15 people who may have had close contact with Glynn. Glynn lived in the Snyder-Phillips residential hall. All received preventive medications. There have been no new cases of meningococcal disease associated with this case. The bacteria are spread through very close contact such as sharing water bottles or kissing.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices strongly recommends that college students have a current vaccination for meningococcal disease.