Liquid nitrogen cocktail costs teen her stomach

Published On: Oct 10 2012 11:00:20 AM EDT
Updated On: Oct 11 2012 10:33:12 AM EDT
Liquid nitrogen cocktail

A British teenager had to have her stomach removed after drinking a liquid nitrogen cocktail on her birthday.

Gaby Scanlon tossed back two drinks containing liquid nitrogen mixed with Jagermeister while celebrating her 18th birthday last week, the BBC reported.

Soon, she became breathless and developed severe stomach pain. When taken to the hospital, doctors found she had a perforated stomach and operated immediately, removing her stomach in what's known as a total gastrectomy.

Scanlon was in serious yet stable condition Monday, The Guardian reported.

The bar that served the steaming cocktail has since suspended the sale of drinks containing liquid nitrogen and is cooperating as an investigation continues.

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of Click On Detroit, WDIV, or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus