Judge stops signing, execution of consent agreement in Detroit
Updated On: Mar 21 2012 12:32:03 PM EDT
A Michigan judge has temporarily put the brakes on a potential consent agreement between the state and the city of Detroit.
A ruling delivered Tuesday by Ingham County Circuit Court Judge William Collette in Mason says a state-appointed review team and Treasurer Andy Dillon shall not execute or sign a consent agreement or its equivalent with the Detroit until Collette makes further orders.
Collette set a new hearing date of March 29. A meeting was previously scheduled for Thursday. Dillon plus other members of the review team -- the Hon. Conrad Mallett, Fred Headen, Dr. Glenda Price and Isaiah McKinnon -- must appear at the hearing to testify.
The new hearing date is after the March 26 deadline that Gov. Rick Snyder set for the financial review team to report to him. The review team could reach a consent agreement with Detroit or recommend an emergency manager financially-battered city that faces a nearly $200 million deficit.
Detroit Mayor Bing's statement:
"The City respects the judicial process and will simply follow the judge's order," said Bing.