Family of Royal Oak home explosion victim hires attorney
Updated On: Mar 05 2013 05:50:52 PM EST
The family of a man who was killed in an explosion at his Royal Oak home has hired an attorney to try to get answers.
Dan Malczynski, 58 was killed Feb. 27 when his home on Cooper Avenue was ripped to pieces by a suspected natural gas blast.
Consumers Energy has blamed a ruptured service line.
Dozens of other homes and businesses were damaged by debris.
Attorney Stuart Sklar is representing Malczynski’s family. He specializes in fire and explosion cases and has been practicing law for more than 26 years.
“Dan Malczynski was a great guy. He loved life,” Sklar said.
Sklar said he’s not focusing on seeking monetary damages for the family but wants more answers from the gas company.
“I sent them a letter yesterday to acknowledge that they are admitting full responsibility for what happened and that the issue of fault is not something that we’re going to have to litigate,” he said.
He showed Local 4 a picture of what he said was the damaged line in question.
Consumers has said the rupture happened as crews were working to replace a main on the street.
“What we’re thinking about now is making sure we understand exactly what happened,” Sklar said. “We don’t know how they were doing the drilling. We don’t know whether they were following the appropriate protocols and procedures.”
Statement from Consumers Energy:
Consumers Energy remains committed to the safety of our community and our employees and we continue to fully cooperate with the MPSC, the National Transportation Safety Board and local authorities regarding the ongoing investigation. More details on our findings will follow at the conclusion of the investigation.
Previous stories on Royal Oak explosion: