Families homeless, but uninjured after Ypsilanti Twp. apartments fire

Published On: Jan 30 2013 03:22:57 PM EST
Updated On: Jan 07 2013 05:57:26 PM EST

Several families are homeless but uninjured after a fire in the Schooner Cove of Ypsilanti Township

YPSILANTI TOWNSHIP, Mich. -

Several families are homeless but uninjured after a fire raced through an Ypsilanti Township apartment complex Monday afternoon.

At least fifteen units at Schooner Cove were damaged by smoke, flames or water.

The fire started around 1 p.m., spreading through the attic and collapsing the roof.

"I heard a man scream and seen fire coming off the balcony," said Alanae Odom, who was in the parking lot.

She called 911 and ran into the building to alert tenants.

“I saw people coming out and apartments were full of smoke," she said.

Everyone got out before firefighters arrived, though they had to rescue some pets.

Tenants believe it was a grease fire in a second story kitchen, though fire officials say they have not determined the cause.

The Red Cross is helping victims. The apartment management will try to place victims in other units in the Ypsilanti area.

Gallery

IMAGES: Ypsilanti Twp. apartments destroyed by fire