Detroit mother credits free smoke detectors for saving her family from fire
Updated On: Oct 11 2012 02:23:08 PM EDT
A Detroit mother said she and her seven children would not have survived a house fire had it not been for the free smoke detector she received from the Detroit Fire Department.
The smoke detectors are installed in Detroit homes by the department thanks to the donations made by Fabian, Sklar & King, P.C., a Farmington Hills law firm.
For the third year, the law firm has donated 500 smoke detectors to the Detroit Fire Department.
Charisse Dorty said she was asleep one night when her son started a fire in her daughter's room. The smoke detector alarm woke her up in time to call the fire department for help.
Dorty said the department got her and her seven children out of her home in time. The back of her home was destroyed by the fire.
"I'm really blessed because if I didn't have my smoke detectors, I wouldn't have nine people in my home right now," said Dorty.
Fabian, Sklar & King, P.C. said its donation of 10-year sealed lithium battery smoke detectors is in honor of Fire Prevention Week, which runs through Friday.
Fabian, Sklar & King has donated 1,500 smoke detectors to the Detroit department to date. The law firm represents clients who are injured or killed as a result of fires and explosions.
The Detroit Fire Department installs the smoke detectors in homes. They are 10-year sealed lithium battery smoke detectors.