Boy burned after Blackberry bursts into flames

Published On: Dec 06 2012 08:20:24 AM EST
Updated On: Dec 06 2012 08:31:02 AM EST
Blackberry

REUTERS/Gary Hershorn

LONDON -

An 11-year-old British boy suffered serious burns after his brother's Blackberry burst into flames.

Read: RIM jumps 14% on BlackBerry 10 hopes

Kian McCreath, 11, was sleeping when the Blackberry Curve 9320, which was charging, made a loud "pop" in the middle of the night and appeared to spontaneously combust, The Daily Telegraph reported.

Mom heard son screaming

His mother told WGN News she awoke to her son screaming about his legs being on fire.

She used his comforter to put out the flames, but Kian suffered serious burns and is now permanently scarred.

"It was just horrific," Sarah McCreath told the Telegraph. "He was in a lot of pain as his feet had pretty much been engulfed in flames. The bed was charred and the phone itself was just a blackened shell. It could have easily been much worse if he hadn't have woken up."

Family wants phone recalled

Kian's family is asking that the phone be recalled from stores in time for Christmas.

A spokesman for RIM, the company that owns Blackberry, said an investigation is a priority.

You may also like:

Obama goes Christmas shopping; President checks list on Blackberry

NTSB drops BlackBerry for iPhone

RIM's BlackBerry 10 to launch Jan. 30