Area in Adrian cleaned after acid spill

Published On: Feb 15 2013 09:26:35 AM EST   Updated On: Feb 15 2013 01:30:52 PM EST
ADRIAN, Mich. -

An area of Adrian was closed off Friday when several gallons of acid spilled.

At 9 a.m., Adrian police and fire officials had closed roads and asked people to stay away from the area of East Maumee and Gulf streets.

A barrel containing 30-35 gallons of nitric acid starting giving off gas after reacting with a small amount of sodium hydroxide. 

There was no immediate threat to the public, but officials said the closures were necessary to get the area cleaned up.

It was cleared just after 1 p.m.

Lenawee County Emergency Management and the Lenawee County hazardous Materials Team are on the scene.

Read more Local News headlines:


The views expressed below are not those of Click On Detroit, WDIV, or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus