High-powered magnets are dangerous to young children

Published On: Nov 16 2012 04:30:08 PM EST
Updated On: Nov 16 2012 06:42:36 PM EST

If swallowed, a high-powered magnet can permanently damage a child's bowels.

DETROIT -

High-powered magnets are great for hanging grocery lists and other reminders, but they can easily end up in the hands of small children.

If swallowed, a high-powered magnet can permanently damage a child's bowels.

In the past year alone, there were more than 200 cases of swallowed magnets requiring medical attention.

More than half of those cases occurred in young children and 80 percent required endoscopic procedures or surgery to remove.

Experts say parents need to take steps to prevent these incidents.

"Childproof your home. If you have little magnets on your fridge keep them high enough, so that they are out of kid range and out of climbing kid range, " said Dr. Ellen Rome, a Cleveland Clinic pediatrician.

"Either borrow a toddler and go through the house, following them, looking where all of your danger zones are or get on your hands and knees yourself and go through the house and figure out from a kid's perspective what looks tempting," said Rome.

Remember, kids may be attracted to dangers adults may overlook.

Comments

The views expressed below are not those of Click On Detroit, WDIV, or its affiliated companies. By clicking on "Post," you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and your comment is in compliance with such terms. Readers, please help keep this discussion respectful and on topic by flagging comments that are offensive or inappropriate (hover over the commenter's name and you'll see the flag option appear on right side of that line). And remember, respect goes both ways: Tolerance of others' opinions is important in a free discourse. If you're easily offended by strong opinions, you might skip reading comments entirely.

blog comments powered by Disqus