Tofu-broccoli stir fry ready in minutes
Updated On: May 06 2013 10:42:40 AM EDT
Looking for something different to expand your veggie meals?
Try this Tofu-Broccoli Stir Fry from Tina Miller, Meijer Healthy Living Advisor.
½ cup Meijer vegetable brothNuVal™ 5
¼ cup dry sherryNuVal™ 1
3 tablespoons Meijer soy sauceNuVal™ 1
3 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugarNuVal™ 1
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or more to taste
1 (14-ounce) package of Nasoya extra firm tofu, cubedNuVal™ 91
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Meijer classic olive oil, dividedNuval™ 11
1 tablespoon minced garlicNuVal™ 91
1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerNuVal™ 87
6 cups broccoli floretsNuVal™ 100
3 tablespoons water
1) Combine broth, sherry (or rice wine), soy sauce, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, sugar and crushed red pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
2) Cut tofu into 3/4-inch cubes and pat dry, then sprinkle with salt.
3) Place the remaining 2 tablespoons cornstarch in a large bowl. Add the tofu; toss gently to coat.
4) Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the tofu; cook, undisturbed, until browned, about 3 minutes. Gently turn and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned all over, 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
5) Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, garlic and ginger; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broccoli and water; cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until tender-crisp, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir the reserved broth mixture and add to the pan.
6) Cook until the sauce has thickened (1 to 2 minutes). Return the tofu to the pan; toss to combine with the broccoli and sauce.
Yield: 4 (1 ¼ cup) servings.
Nutrition per Serving:
258kcal, 1g fat (1g saturated), 0mg cholesterol, 23g,carbohydrates; 544mg sodium, 4g fiber, 14g protein;
Substitute Meijer Vegetable broth (NuVal™ 5) with Pacific organic vegetable broth (NuVal™ 16).
Adapted From: Eating Well. Tofu & Broccoli Stir-Fry.