Holiday pumpkin bread great for giving or sharing
Updated On: Dec 17 2012 12:26:22 PM EST
Quickbreads are a popular holiday gift and Tina Miller, Meijer Healthy Living Advisor shares her recipe for Holiday Pumpkin Bread.
Holiday Pumpkin Bread
2 3/4 cups Meijer white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground McCormick cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground McCormick nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground McCormick ginger
1/2 cup packed Meijer brown sugar
1/2 cup Meijer granulated sugar
1/2 cup margarine
1 16-oz. can Meijer solid pack pumpkin
3/4 cup dates, chopped
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9"x 5" loaf pan with pan spray (or 4 mini-loaf pans).
2. In a medium bowl, mix flours, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat on medium speed margarine, eggs, pumpkin and then adding sugar last, beat until well blended.
4. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and mix only until moistened. Stir in chopped dates and walnuts. Spoon batter evenly into pan(s). Note: Lightly sprinkle raw batter with additional ground nuts if desired.
5. Bake approximately 50 to 60 minutes (about 40 minutes for mini-loaves); until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (If top of loaf browns to quickly, loosely cover with aluminum foil until baking is completed.) Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes. Remove from baking pan and transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Makes 1 loaf (12 hearty servings).
Nutrition Information (per serving): 305 calories, 7g protein, 49g carbohydrate, 9g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 4.5g fiber.